Best Golf Laser Rangefinder
Take a look at our list of the best golf laser rangefinder of 2019 below.
Laser rangefinders give golfers pinpoint flag accuracy and that’s one of the reasons many golfers favour them over more simplistic GPS watches and other smaller units.
They also usually run on batteries and so can be left in your bag between games for a much more hassle-free user experience than GPS units, which need regular charging.
If you’re specifically on the lookout for a new laser rangefinder, we’ve got you covered with this guide to the best models on the market in 2018. They do come at a cost, but then so does a new top-end driver, and some of the new technology is a life-saver out on the course.
Also Read:- Best Rangefinder Golf
Everywhere you look, golf gadgets and products promise you straight drives, lower scores and that you’ll be the envy of your golf buddies. Even the best golf rangefinder won’t straighten out your tee shot but it’s is a must-have for any golfer looking to land their ball right on target.
Rangefinders have revolutionized many sports including golf.
The best golf rangefinders have earned their place in the sport by first, eliminating the caddie with the yardage book, and secondly, phasing out the need to depend on yardage markers and other landmarks.
Nowadays, it’s unlikely for many to be without a golf rangefinder when taking on the course, either professionally or leisurely.
If you’re reading this review, it’s obvious you don’t want to be caught empty handed, or worse, asking your buddy to pull a distance reading for you… every hole. You definitely don’t want to be “that” guy.
To help you decide which is the ultimate device for your needs, we have reviewed the top golf rangefinders of 2018 both with and without slope.
The number of products is growing, the feature sets are increasing, and most still do a terrific job of giving you distance to the target. Within the last year, the rangefinder market has evolved dramatically. The best lasers not only capture the distance to target simply, quickly, and accurately, but many offer additional features to give you the confidence to hit the shot required.
After all, how can you hit your target without knowing exactly how far it is from you?
We set out to find the best rangefinder in each price range in 2018 to help you make better decisions on the course. So we bought them.
Below are some of our favourites. With some of the products you’ll see a ‘Buy Now’ link. If you click on this then we may receive a small amount of money from the retailer when you purchase the item, but this doesn’t affect the amount you pay.
What is a Best Golf Laser Rangefinder ?
The golf rangefinders can be a standalone device that you wear like a watch or clip on to something, or it can be software that you install on an electronic device like a smartphone or tablet. There are two types of the golf rangefinder which are the GPS rangefinder and the laser rangefinder. Although both will help you determine the distance accurately, they have some pros and cons. Understanding the merits and demerits of each of the two types is what will help you choose the best for your game.
Golf rangefinders are electronic devices used in the sport of golf to help the player in perfectly defining the distance to certain fixed points on a golf course, such as the flag, trees or hazards. Golf rangefinders are also called golf laser rangefinder because of the laser technology used in manufacturing it.
In golf, distance is an essential element that you always have to take into account for success. Although professional and experienced golfers can estimate it using markers and physical things like bushes and trees it is not always accurate. A golf rangefinder is what you need for accurate and more reliable data. It is the device that golfers use to determine the distance to fixed points such as to the flag, green or a hazard.
One key to our testing protocols is testing products head-to-head. We select the top products from each category and put the products through detailed head-to-head testing. We test both in the lab and in the field. We score each product across a range of weighted categories. We then rank the products and explain why, and give awards to the best performing products in the category.
This year we approached our rangefinder testing with more critical scoring and improved protocols. This was based on an intensive look at the market and feedback from consumers just like you. Several key findings from that research influenced the rangefinder testing process for 2019.
We can definitively say that some laser rangefinders performed better than others. For this guide, we evaluated each model looking specifically at the consistency of distances provided, the clarity of the visual field, and the unit’s ability to capture distances above of 200 yards. Our top performers stood out among the pack.
Why use a Best Golf Laser Rangefinder ?
A golf laser rangefinder is an electronic device that allows you precisely to determine your distance from certain points on the golf course, and it will provide you this information quickly as well. Golfers use it to avoid the hazard, shooting for the pin or preparing for their drive off the tee. When you know exactly your distance, you will be able to decide easily which club to use, and this may even improve your game.
Using a golf rangefinder makes life easier for golfers. Knowing how far away the flag or certain hazards are, can remove the need for other time overwhelming techniques. Nobody wants to end up in the rough or in a water hazard so in order to know the distance more exact, you can use a range finder. A golf rangefinder can help you improve your game, reduce your handicap, let you enjoy the sport better and take you to the next level. Forget about guessing the distance: start using a golf laser rangefinder!
Yes! You can play considerably faster and more professionally, while still maintaining the quality of your game. This is a must have for any golfer trying to improve their game.
A range finder is a distance measurement device (DMD), often specially designed for use in golf to measure the distance from your ball to your target using either GPS or laser technology.
Laser rangefinders use technology determines the distance between you and a target you select by sending a short laser pulse to the target object and measuring the time it takes to bounce back to the device. The speed of the laser pulse is fixed, so the device uses the known speed and rebound time to calculate distance. The resulting distance is shown in a matter of a couple seconds within the viewport. Some units offer a “slope” feature which calculates the effective distance factoring uphill and downhill shots. Downhill shots will go further while uphill shots will be shorter.
GPS rangefinders use satellite data to measure the distance between your position (longitude and latitude coordinates) to calculate your distance to a certain number of fixed targets – usually to the front, middle and back of the green while some also include distances to nearby hazards like sand traps or water hazards.
Why should you use a rangefinder?
There are two major reasons you should carry a rangefinder in your bag:
- You finally know the actual distance to all of your targets
- You finally know the actual distance of your shots
Most golfers will say something like “I hit my 9I about 140” when in reality they hit it 135 most of the time and actually hit it 140 on a par 3 with a 10 yard drop from the tee box. These habits set unrealistic expectations and set you up for failure on nearly every shot.
The Best Golf Laser Rangefinder
Rangefinders come in all sizes and shapes and so finding one should never be a problem. However, the real issue may be finding the right one for your game or one that will add some value to your game by offering you reliable, accurate and fast information. Whether you are a new player or a pro, there are a few rangefinders that will make your gaming experience fun and also help you become a better player. best golf laser rangefinder The following three are some of these Golf Rangefinder Reviews that every golfer can rely on for accurate and comprehensive measurements.
BUSHNELL PRO X2
Another outstanding offering from Bushnell. The Pro X2’s display color can be changed from red to black to suit your preference and lighting conditions. It’s also one of the fastest models on the market today. Acquiring pins reliably in fractions of seconds, the X2’s precision and accuracy leads the pack.
- “The Most Accurate Rangefinder of 2018.”
- “The Fastest Rangefinder of 2018.”
- Built-in jolt technology for added confidence of target acquisition
- Adjustable on/off slope feature
- Some may find the no-nonsense design light on features
Precision Pro Golf NX7 Pro
A rangefinder is an essential golf equipment that every golfer should have when on the course as it makes distance measurement easier and more accurate. And with something high-performing and top-notch quality like the Precision Pro Golf NX7, you can always be confident of reliable and accurate measurements.
It is a convenient gadget with adaptive slope function that makes it legal for use in tournaments, target acquisition technology, pulse vibration technology and a range of up to 400 yards. Also, it has a 6X magnification and is both shock and waterproof for enhanced durability.
But what many golfers will love most about it is that it comes with a free battery replacement which will save you money in the long run as you will never have to buy a battery. And it has clear and crisp optics to make it easy to read the measurements.
Features and Specifications- What Makes It the Best?
- Adaptive Slope: The Adaptive Slope technology is one of the key highlights of this rangefinder as it not only compensates for elevation but can also be turned off to make this a tournament legal rangefinder.
- Pulse Vibration Technology: You will never have to guess when you lock onto your target or even have to look at the display because the rangefinder is designed to deliver a short vibration to alert you that you are locked on to the pin.
- Target Acquisition Technology: An impressive feature designed to scan objects in your field of view and focus on your desired target to ensure maximum accuracy.
- Range: Although the 400-yard range might not seem long enough when compared to what other high-end rangefinders have to offer, it should still be more than enough for most golf courses. And to make it even better, this rangefinder maintains an accuracy of +/-1 yard throughout.
- Magnification: With up to 6X magnification, this rangefinder is designed to let you see the flag and other things clearer and much closer.
- Free Battery Replacement: Besides coming with a free battery, the manufacturer also provides a free battery replacement for the lifetime of this rangefinder, and so you will never have to buy one.
- Adaptive slope technology makes it tournament legal
- Highly accurate measurements
- Compact and lightweight design
- Easy and accurate target acquisition
- Water-resistant design makes it ideal for use in wet conditions
- Picks up flag easily
- Crisp and clear optics
- Free battery replacement
- Relatively short range
- Plastic case feels a little cheaply made
BUSHNELL TOUR V4
The Tour V4 is an awesome rangefinder for several of reasons. It acquires the target instantly. The bigger and brighter optics provide a crystal clear display of the target and surrounding area. An outstanding option for those who want a simple but effective product.
- Fastest rangefinder of 2019
- Best product for accuracy
- Great optics
- Not particularly feature-rich
TecTecTec VPRO500 Rangefinder
Shopping for a rangefinder is not the easiest thing for a golfer since there are many options to choose from, and each one claims to be the best. However, if you want something that will save you a lot of cash and still offer you accuracy, efficiency and versatility then the VPRO500 is what you need to buy. It is very efficient in pinpointing your targets and can provide you with accurate measurements for up to 550 yards. Although it uses modern and very solid materials, it also has a soft and very sleek superficial coating to make it a very attractive machine. And the best thing is that you get all this value without having to spend a fortune.
Features and Specifications – What Makes It the Best?
- High-Tech Optics: It has a state of the art optical system and a six times magnification that brings everything close. Add this to the plus or minus one-yard accuracy and you have a sound device. The other things that take it a notch higher are the multi-coated optics and finger intuitive mode of operation.
- Trio Modes: The three modes used to locate the pin are one of the things that make the VPRO500 unique and hence worth buying. These forms include the “First Target Priority” that will focus on the flagstick despite any distractions in the background. The other ones are “ProScan” and “Distance Target Priority”.
- Auto-Target Acquisition Tech: Unlike other rangefinders, it can slough off the signals coming from other large objects on the course and only focus on the Pin or any other target that you wish.
- Compact and Lightweight: This device only weighs seven ounces, and this makes it one of the lightest in the market or at least within its class. Its compact design also makes it easy to carry around the course and also when storing it.
- Sturdy and Durable: Although it is very light it is made from a very tough material, and it also has a padded casing designed to cushion it against any impacts. Its gloss surface will also prevent the accumulation of foreign particles and dust and hence ensuring that it serves you for many years.
- It is lightweight, compact.
- VPRO500 provides prompt measurement readouts and has an auto shut-off. Its operation is through a single button and has an adjustable control.
- With Pinsensor Technology, this device is perfect for flag pinpoint precision.
- It is resistant to dust and water.
- VPRO500 is easy to carry around as well as easier storage and transport. It has straps to attach to a bag or suspend on your shoulders to use it effortlessly during tournaments and other activities.
- The Tec Tec Tec VPRO500 was the lack of a 100% water resistant coating as a downside. Therefore, it can not use in inclement weather.
Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt
Bushnell golf Rangefinders are some of the best in the market, and this is why thousands of golfers across the world trust them. Tour V4 comes with PinSeeker that helps you locate the flag and Jolt Technology that will make it vibrate when you have it locked. It also has 5X Magnification, Slope Technology in Slope version, and Fast Focus System. This rangefinder can give you distances that are anything between 5 and 1000 yards and it uses a rechargeable CR2 3-Volt battery.
Features and Specifications
- PinSeeker with Jolt Tech: The PinSeeker technology will let you locate the flag even without seeing it, but this device also has Jolt, and so it will produce vibration bursts when the rangefinder locks on the pin.
- Range: It can measure distances that are anything between 5 and 1000 yards and more than 400 yards to the flag while maintaining and accuracy of +/- 1 yard at all times.
- 5X Magnification and Fast Focus: 5X Magnification might not seem like much, but it works with the Fast Focus Feature to ensure that you target quickly and see the target clearly.
- Slope Technology (in Slope Version): The distances that you get when using this device are very accurate because it uses Slope Technology to compensate for elevation.
- Battery: It comes with a CR2 (3-Volt) battery that is rechargeable to ensure convenience and continued use of the device.
- Extras: You also get a premium carry case for transporting the rangefinder, and it comes with an impressive 2-year warranty.
- The ergonomic design, lightweight, and compact design make it a good buy.
- Slope technology has a huge benefit for golfers if you choose a slope version
- It focuses very quickly.
- The price tag is quite fair.
- It only has one control button for everything, and this makes it easy to use.
- Jolt feature is fantastic and also a significant advantage.
- Bushnell Tour V4 is one of the most accurate rangefinders from Bushnell.
- The 5X magnification is still not the best.
- Slope feature is not legal for some tournaments.
- It needs some steady hands to work well.
- The battery can be quite hard to insert.
Nikon Coolshot 20
You do not need a large and expensive rangefinder to get accurate measurements and for convenient use because a small and compact one like the Nikon Coolshot 20 still works well. It is also a lightweight rangefinder that is easy to handle, and it will slide into the pocket with ease. And despite its small size it also comes with some impressive features.
These features include the First Target Priority Mode, 8-second Continuous Measurement, and 6X magnification. It is also a very versatile tool that you can use to target other objects besides from the flagstick, and it is weatherproof to make it ideal for use even in inclement weather.
Features and Specifications
- Versatile Tool: Although most golfers will use the rangefinder to locate the flag the Nikon Coolshot 20 is quite a versatile tool. You can use it to range any object that is in its sights such as trees, lakes, bunkers and even golf carts.
- First Target Priority Mode: This technology ensures that you get the distances to the object that you target first when there are many others around it. This feature is very beneficial when targeting a flagstick that is in front of trees or bushes.
- 8-Second Continuous Measurement: When you push the power button this rangefinder will range continuously for 8 seconds. Doing this helps you to find distances to small and thin targets such as mounds and hazards.
- Weatherproof: You can use the Coolshot 20 even in inclement weather thanks to the choice of materials and technology that allows it to have a wide temperature tolerance and also makes it waterproof.
- It is a small and compact rangefinder that will be very easy to handle and use.
- Nikon makes it very user-friendly, and even beginner golfers should not have any difficulties.
- The price is quite competitive, and this is more so if you compare to others on the market with similar features.
- It is a USGA compliant device meaning you can use it for tournaments.
- Apart from targeting the flag, you can also use it to target other objects that are within its range.
- The rainproof material and its broad temperature tolerance make this rangefinder ideal for use in inclement weather without risk of damage. best golf laser rangefinder
- It does not have other features like slope measurement that you can get on other high-end Nikon rangefinders.
- Many golfers would prefer something bulkier as it feels more stable on the hand.
Features to Look for in a Laser Rangefinder
In a laser rangefinder, you’ll want to keep an eye out for a few things:
- Ease of use/functionality
- Accuracy and speed of obtaining readings
Weigh these factors against each other and determine what’s more important to you. Is it worth more to pay extra for slope compensation if you’ll really never use it? Does accuracy mean more to you than any upgrade or feature? Does brand name have something to do with how happy you’ll be with the device? best golf laser rangefinder
Laser distance finders tend to be preferred over the GPS units, for now, but it’s a very tight competition between the two. They last longer than a GPS, they’re versatile, and they’re also more accurate.
But there are benefits of the GPS devices if you wanted to explore that world too. If so, you can check out our pick of the best Golf GPS units here.
How would bhollywoodwala improve laser rangefinders?
Unless there’s some breakthrough technology coming out of the labs soon, I think we’re not far off from peak rangefinder technology. They’re all fast, 5-7x magnification is plenty (unless you can stabilize it on a tripod like a sniper), slope calculations and pin seeking help with targeting. best golf laser rangefinder
How else could they really get better? I have one idea, and it’s one Canon could take advantage of:
If you’ve ever used a rangefinder with decent magnification, you’ve definitely found yourself so zoomed in that you’re not sure if you’re close to finding your target or not. ESPECIALLY if there are tons of trees in the background. You might spend 2-3 seconds just orienting yourself with what you’re zoomed into.
My idea is to use camera zoom features to let you start from, say 4x magnification which is easy to find a target with, to 7x or more. Find the target area quickly, then zoon into your precise target. best golf laser rangefinder
This would mean more moving parts that could potentially break if dropped, but I still think it’s a good idea. Canon, the maker of cameras and rangefinders, should be all over this. Especially because they’re not all that strong in the golf rangefinder world.
Buying a Golf Laser Rangefinder: Important Factors to Consider
Even the world’s best golfers use a rangefinder, which is proof of just how essential it is. But these devices are also not cheap which is why it’s crucial to buy the right one so you can get your money’s worth. best golf laser rangefinder
There are so many rangefinder options available, and even if you’re looking specifically for laser range finders, you’d still have to decide between several dozen products. So to help you in your search, here are crucial factors that you need to consider:
Advantages of Golf Laser Rangefinder over GPS Rangefinder
A laser rangefinder is more accurate and flexible than even the best golf GPS device. You can easily find the distance to any target. All you need to do is just point in the direction of your target, and then the laser rangefinder will lock on the target. Straight out of the box, you will start using a laser rangefinder. While viewing through the lens, you can also scan the surroundings so you have a better idea of the green. In comparison to golf GPS devices, some GPS rangefinders require you to take a subscription and use the pre-loaded golf course. Some of the advantages of a golf rangefinder are best golf laser rangefinder:
- Flexibility (can easily find distance to any target)
- Better accuracy
- No downloading, uploading or updating of golf courses
- No annual subscription needed.
If you want to do it right, here are the features to consider when buying yours:
A rangefinder is pointless if the numbers it gives you are wrong. This is the number one criteria. Fortunately, almost all modern rangefinders are more accurate than we are as golfers.
What’s the maximum distance it can shoot reliably? Rangefinders claim to be able to shoot a thousand yards but it’s not realistic since the magnification isn’t strong enough for you to see a target that far. Even if you’re a Long Drive Champion, having a 400-yard functional range is plenty. best golf laser rangefinder
A long range is worthless if you can’t see the target from where you are. Be sure to have a large enough magnification (at least 5x) to see far-away targets.
Ease of Use
Any piece of electronics will have a slight learning curve and rangefinders are no exception. The curve is really shallow and even our grandparents who are afraid of email and smartphones can easily figure them out in a few minutes. The real consideration is whether you’re able to grab the unit from your bag easily and find the target quickly before shooting. The button-pressing and getting a reading back is a second or less, so you can’t get much easier than that. best golf laser rangefinder
Pricepoints for rangefinders tend to fall within the $140-$399 range with the sweet spot being around $250. The $150 rangefinders are pretty solid and functional while the more expensive ones give you some comfort in the brand/quality while having some useful extra features, such as slope calculation, pin seeking technology, longer warranties, etc.
How quickly does it give you the distance? You should be able to shoot them in just a few seconds and get a reading virtually instantly. The laser component of rangefinders work at the speed of light (bouncing from the target back to you) so the rest of the time is calculation speed. We can thank our smartphones for driving the speed increases in small processors that rangefinders benefit from. Speeds are really fast across all major models, so if you have issues it’s more likely an ease of use problem then a processing speed one. best golf laser rangefinder
Is it going to die while you’re out playing 36 holes? Most rangefinder batteries will last a most, if not all, of your golf season. (Try asking GPS watches about that)
Can it withstand any sudden rain? What if you drop it or it falls out of your cart into a puddle? Water is the enemy for any electronic device because it leads to corrosion of the metal elements inside. The plastic and rubber composite that make up the rangefinder shells have gotten much better over the years making them more resistant to water damage, but if you play in rainy conditions often, you’ll want a waterproof rangefinder. The Bushnell Pro X7, our Best Rangefinder winner, and Z6 Jolt are waterproof while the V2,V3 and V4 are not. Leupold’s GX series is also waterproof, although not quite as good as the Bushnell. best golf laser rangefinder
What if you drop it or if it falls out of your cart on the path? Durable construction ensures you’re not back here next year looking to replace your formerly new rangefinder.
Better casing can protect your investment and also help you access it more easily while on the course. What may normally be an afterthought can be a real factor in your choice best golf laser rangefinder.
Pin Seeking Technology
Laser golf rangefinders can be difficult to use on targets that are far away. A flag from 200 yards or more with normal shaky human hands can be hard to shoot rater than the trees behind it. To account for this, manufacturers developed a technology which uses some sort of voodoo magic to lock onto the pin more easily (pins now have reflectors that make it easier to pick up). Bushnell calls theirs PinSeeker®, Leupold calls it Pinhunter – you get the drift.
Slope VS No Slope Rangefinders
When considering whether to purchase a rangefinder with or without slope, you need to consider whether you want a device that is legal for tournament play or not.
Tournament play comes down to needing accurate distances, and laser rangefinders are notorious for their precision.
Since GPS devices are only accurate to within four yards and we want the best of the best for tournament play, which means being critical and petty about the slightest flaws, the laser rangefinders will be the show-stoppers for this category. best golf laser rangefinder
So, if it’s likely that you’ll want to use a rangefinder during tournament game play, then you’ll definitely need to know what the rules are before you even step foot onto the course. Having an “illegal” rangefinder can disqualify you, even if you’re not using the fancy features.
Other Considerations Golf Laser Rangefinder
You also need to consider other factors such as:
- If you’re a professional, then you need to pick a rangefinder that is classified as “tournament legal.” If it’s not, then they will ban you from using it during your game. best golf laser rangefinder
- The product’s warranty should also be taken into consideration. Some rangefinders have six months warranty; others have 1-2 years.
What are the Disqualifying Features?
The rest of the jargon and lengthy word count of the 14-3 rule is pretty much for all the “Do Nots”.
The disqualifying features of a non-tournament legal rangefinder are slope compensation, club selection, measuring distance between two points that involves slope or other conditions that can affect the short distance, and any measuring feature that affects play like a barometer, temperature, etc. best golf laser rangefinder
Now that’s a way to take the fun out of a rangefinder, right?
Well, if you’re not in it for the tours, then having a decked-out rangefinder with all the latest features isn’t going to affect you one bit. But, if you’ve grown accustomed to all those features during practice rounds, you can’t have it anywhere near you while competing. best golf laser rangefinder
All of its fancy features are useless while it sits in the hot, stuffy front seat of your car.
Who Should/Shouldn’t Use A Golf Rangefinder?
A golf rangefinder is ideal for use by all types of golfers. Those that are new in the sport will not know how to use yard markers and other things like hazards and bushes to estimate distance, and so this device will be very handy as they learn how to play. best golf laser rangefinder
The professional players should also use a rangefinder in their tours because most are legal. No matter how good you might be, competing with players that have one will put you at a disadvantage. However, it always vital to read golf rangefinder reviews to ensure that the device you intend to use is tournament legal because some like those with slope compensating features are not allowed. best golf laser rangefinder
As we have reviewed All the best golf laser rangefinder it is hard for you to choose the best golf laser rangefinder but you don’t need to worry all these are the top quality rangefinder you can buy any of it but what we recommend you to buy is Nikon Coolshot 20 as it very user-friendly, and even beginner golfers should not have any difficulties. and The price is quite competitive, and this is more so if you compare to others on the market with similar features .
best golf laser rangefinder